Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Sweet Squares #9

marker and white acrylic paint
I took a British Romantic Poets class in college and loved it. I fell pretty hard for William Wordsworth. Every once in a while, fragments of his poems will come to me. Like this morning. Our skies are changing. Clouds are becoming wispy, the sun is lower in the sky. There's more grays than cerulean. Fall is coming, and right behind that, winter. I love this time of year. I don't know if it's because of my love for school, or if it's because it's such a relief after our Texas summers. There is always a soul-deep sigh once the season starts turning. My whole body relaxes, and everything feels right.

          "I WANDERED lonely as a cloud
          That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
          When all at once I saw a crowd,
          A host, of golden daffodils;
          Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
          Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

          Continuous as the stars that shine
          And twinkle on the milky way,
          They stretched in never-ending line
          Along the margin of a bay:                                  10
          Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
          Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

          The waves beside them danced; but they
          Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
          A poet could not but be gay,
          In such a jocund company:
          I gazed--and gazed--but little thought
          What wealth the show to me had brought:

          For oft, when on my couch I lie
          In vacant or in pensive mood,                               20
          They flash upon that inward eye
          Which is the bliss of solitude;
          And then my heart with pleasure fills,
          And dances with the daffodils."

Link away!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this. I needed something spring-ish on this fall morning.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment!