Sunday, January 11, 2009

"So, We Meet Again!"

(Imagine the title being said in a really cheesy kung-fu master voice.) One of the things I want to continue to do this year is experiment with various media for illustration. I think I might be closing in on my style with acrylics, and that's neat. But my line work practically disappears sometimes. It's something I need to be more aware of, especially as I'm not really a painter so much as a "draw-er."

My line work is something that's been pointed out to me as a wonderful thing time and time again, so I think it's in my best interest to try and find a method that preserves it a little more. I'm not jumping ship just yet, just playing around with my old nemesis watercolor to see if a technique will jump out and grab me. Maybe something I can apply to acrylics...we'll see.
Here's my experiment for today. It's one of my dummy frogs. (I mean from my dummy book, not that he's not smart. Look at him, he's reading!) I inked him out first with some waterproof ink then laid down the color. I did it very haphazardly, and didn't really pay attention to what I was doing. I just wanted to see what happened with the color. I like him...he looks a little textured. We'll see where these experiments go. I can definitely see the benefits to using watercolor on my comic style pages, especially now that I have my w-proof ink. Are you doing any experimenting?

2 comments:

  1. This is an awesome experiment! I love how it looks, the waterproof ink is definitely working for you.

    That's definitely how I tend to watercolor...ink first, paint later. It gives you more freedom, I think.

    Water color can be SO frustrating. I definitely feel you on that one. My new approach to it, is less less less is more. I water my colors down A LOT and fill things in with watery, broad strokes. If I need to come back with something a teeny bit heavier, or to add painty detail, I wait for the first layer to dry, and then I do that. Does that make sense?

    So I suppose, that's what I've been fiddling with these days....I'll post something soon.

    Great work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay for experimenting! :)

    I think the WP ink is what I was waiting for, lord knows I'd given up on WC otherwise. I completely get what you're saying about the broad strokes. I do that too. Hurry up and fill in the space, then come back for the details and shading. Good thing I have a hairdryer I use to speed up that drying process!-haha!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment!