Monday, October 27, 2008

Matchmaking with Illustrators

Alvina Ling, one of the Blue Rose Girls, has posted a fantastic entry. It's an inside look into the process of choosing an illustrator.

"I consider where the illustrator is in her career. Is the artist a seasoned pro or someone new who we could build on our list? I evaluate whether the artists’ technique will have broad commercial appeal or if it will be better suited for the library market. And, I consider how accessible the artwork is for our target audience of kids between the ages of three and six. Lastly, I evaluate what the artist can bring to the story—humor, emotion, warmth, and so on."

(Go here for the rest of the post.)

Much of it I've heard before, but it boosted my desire to work harder and grow more as an artist. I think my favorite part of the post was this quote: 'Emile Zola said, “The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work.”'

I think I'll print this out an tape it to my inspiration board.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment!