Saturday, May 10, 2008

Beary Sweet

I've completed a new painting this weekend. (Sorry, but I'm only going to show a cropped shot of it. I'm getting a lot of visitors from Thailand and China lately, visiting specific illustrated posts. It's made me paranoid about posting new work given the reputation of copyright-violation those countries have. ) It's a much more relaxed style with mixed media. I started with a cardboard sheet left over from a diaper box, covered it in pages from an art magazine, then painted the colors and shapes I wanted to use as background. On top of that I pencil-sketched, then acrylic-washed the image of a bear climbing a tree to get to a bee's nest. Finally I outlined it with brush and ink. Besides the act of constructing the "canvas" itself, this whole process was extremely quick.

It was a lot of fun to do...and I'm planning on another one. This time with a baby bear. I've had bears on the brain for the last year or so, and I'm glad I'm finally able to do something with them!

Do you have any new work you're excited about?

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I am really impressed with all that you went through to prepare the canvas for this illustration. How did you ever come up with all that... I usually grab a sheet of 140lb watercolor paper or bristol. =)
    Your technique certainly works, it looks like a charming and well executed piece of art. Thanks for sharing.
    PS Scary thought about the overseas visitors... is that really a big concern?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kinda makes you rethink the whole blogging thing doesn't it??

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment!