Tuesday, October 30, 2007

A Crisis of Craft

I thought that there wasn't too much that could shake me up anymore regarding my confidence in what I am creating. I thought I had convinced myself that there were a variety of personal tastes, not everyone would like everything I was doing, and that was just fine. I thought I had conquered most of my weaknesses, and was well on my way to accomplishing major goals.

With one unintended, careless remark, my bubble has popped and I sit and question everything I am doing.

But it's not all bad. I try to see it from their point of view. What makes my work weak? What do I need to work on? And I see it...the weakness....the "it could be better." So I resolve to fix those problems, to strengthen my work, and to get to the point of It Couldn't Be Better.

(I need to remind myself constantly that I am very new to this craft, despite my feeling of being here forever. I am just starting out....and will need more time to get to where I am trying to be. The only way to get there is work, work, work. )

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:08 PM

    Dear Dee,

    My advice (and you may take this with a grain of salt...) is to *persevere*. Keep working, do some personal projects, just keep your hand moving - and soon, the crisis will dissipate.

    Until the next crisis, that is. I guess that's how they work. The crises keep us growing, questioning, changing. And that's good, right?

    Anyway, I think Pablo Picasso's quote you use in the banner for your blog applies here somehow...

    Best. michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last week I was part of an art show. My work, which I thought was the strongest, was the least popular. So it goes.

    I had a friend in design school who would show his work to his wife. If she hated it, he knew it was good.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I feel that way too, dee...but just keep on drawing. I also see a lot of great ones out there and everytime I see my work, I feel like mine is not good enough. But, just keep the drawings coming...you will see what's strong and what's weak. But, I think you're awesome - so, my request, please draw me a big smiley face (your style) and post it in our soup blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement! I'm feeling much better now. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment!