Thursday, August 31, 2006

"We're not worthy! We're not worthy!"

(Can you name that movie?)
I don't know how all of you out there do it. How do you work a "regular" day-job, manage a family and still have time to do your art/freelance? It's the third week of school, and I am wiped out when I come home in the evenings. It's early on. Once I get into the swing of things, I'll (hopefully) be able to actually create when I get home-but it's killing me seeing a w.i.p. just sitting there waiting for me to get to it. I have all of these fantastic ideas I want to put down, but no energy or time! It just has to wait for the weekend, which causes just the smallest amount of stress because I'm supposed to be creating new pieces for my portfolio review in two months!

On a positive note, my students have realized I am a force to be reckoned with this week. No longer am I just the fun or cool teacher (their words, not mine). I'm also the teacher who means business. I think K. summed it up best when she said, "Oh! Mrs. X, 'your face just said, 'Oh No, you di-in't!'" It pleases me immensely to see them recognize my various facial expressions and body language correctly.

Ahh, the joy of seeing a flicker of fear reflecting in their eyes; it warms my heart. haha!
Hey, they're seventh graders, what do you expect?

(Seriously people, I don't hate my students, but we do have the saying "Don't smile until Christmas" for a reason in the education industry.)

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:14 PM

    wasn't the movie " Wayne's World"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waynes World Waynes World! Party time , excellent.
    (singing it to you)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly how you feel Dee. I am so tired now after returning to school. I really miss my carefree summer vacation:-). I might not feel the stress of teaching in very evident ways, but I know I have been consuming the energy I accumulated during the past two months...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am mourning my freedom to create. TEACHERS UNITE!! Only 35 more weeks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment!